Here we have a non exhaustive list of superstitions commonly found in Azerbaycan, particularly in rural areas. Have these in mind when visiting but note that most people are not superstitious and take these as mere folklore.
Mainly Source: http://www.travel-images.com/az-supe.html
* When your right hand hitches you'll have luck, if your left hand hitches you'll loose money.
* If your right ear is red someone is saying good things about you, if your left ear is red someone is saying bad things about you.
* Don't cut you nails at night, it may shorten you life.
* Horses and horseshoes bring good luck, the same for dreams about horses.
* A cat (not only a black cat) crossing your way means bad luck in today's business.
* Throw a some of water in the wake of a person that set off for a business or a long trip. It will bring him luck and help to return home safe and sound.
* Salt and cutting objects should not be given as gifts, since you must not take them without paying a token sum for them. Otherwise, it will bring bad fortune.
* Salt accidentally spilled in a home announces a fight.
* Scissors should always be closed, if left with opened blades they may bring misfortune.
* Do not give sprouts as a present, the plant the sprouts are taken from can die, the same goes for eggs.
* When walking or doing doing something, never return from midway.
* A person with empty buckets on your way means misfortune.
* Do not hurry to a funeral ceremony and do not cross the way as a funeral cortege goes along.
* When you go out in the morning, if the first person you meet is a male, you'll be lucky today.
* Bread is seen as a sacred substance of life, do not throw it on the ground or on to the street. When a bit of bread is dropped on the floor it is kissed and put to the side.
* Do not shake hands across the threshold of a doorway.
* Jaduh witchery if common in Azerbaijan.
* Do not shake hands with your gloves on, it brings bad luck
To be honest I was aware of some superstitions but I thought only my familiy did it but once I saw this list I was relieved
For example I never cross the road of any cat
, I always throw water for goodluck
, my scissors are always closed, I never shake hands with gloves on and I never throw bread away and if I do want to get rid of my food I kiss it and apologize to it and lay it very gently somewere in the corner of the street
hehe I dont really believe in any of it, but since almost every Azeri I know just follows the rules then who am I to reject then
If you have or know some other superstitions or experiences please share them with all of us
Or if you want to share the once you follow or believe aswell dont be shy, share them!