Turkey Determined to Top World Carpet Market
By Adem Yilmaz, Gaziantep
Wednesday, October 25, 2006
Turkey remains among the world’s biggest manufacturers of handloom and machine-made carpets. The domestic carpet market, worth over $500 million, has recently begun to accelerate its development. Sahin Saki, Chairman of Dilek Carpet in Gaziantep, pointed out that the market had become more attractive, adding that they aimed to grow by 30 percent in 2007.
With an annual market of two million square meters of carpet, Saki noted they wish to become one of the top ten companies in the industry. Organizing dealer meetings for this reason, Saki tells listeners how the industry can improve: “Our company overrates research and development. We regard our dealers not as supplier, but as partners in our company.”
While Turkey’s market is 90 percent covered by dealerships, Saki declared they plan to reach the other 10 percent by the end of the year, noting they would organize dealer meetings semi-annually in the following period to the advantage of all parties.
Purposing to be strong abroad as well as in Turkey, Saki revealed they exported 40 percent of their manufacturing to Germany, Austria, Kazakhstan, Saudi Arabia, Mauritania, Kuwait, Jordan and Dubai.
Source : Zaman