Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
My Initial Visit to Tunis
maako
post 10/17/05 03:40 PM
Post #1

Group: MEIC Members/Donors
Member No.: 21

I recently had a short break in Tunisia, saw most of the tourists historical sites, Dougga , Carthage, Sidi Bou Said. Bardo Museum, Kairoun.El Jem etc. fantastic. The Hotel service was considerably better than anything in England witb possibly exception of the likes of Savoy/Claridges/Ritz.

The people I've met was - in accordance with Arab custom , most hospitable. I'll certainly wish to revisit
Tunisia if fate allows. I met two British women married to Tunsians , who told me they quite happy living there. Tunisian Arabs apparently have family values which have been lost in England/the West. I was quite surprised coz the country has no oil, not rich, but apparently quite rich in common/ordinary/simply - humanity and its own basic social values.
Women apparently had egual electoral rights since 1956 whereas in Switzerland it was 1976 when women was allowed to vote.
They also have Policewomen - icon_eek.gif which the men are not too happy abt. I can understand that. The indignity of being arrested by a women is a bit much, - all the more reason to be law-abiding. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nesreen
post 11/18/05 03:45 AM
Post #2

Group: MEIC Conversion Group
Member No.: 20

QUOTE(maako)
  Women apparently  had  egual  electoral rights    since  1956   whereas   in Switzerland  it was 1976   when women was  allowed to vote.  
:

They are quite advanced compared to other Arab countries when it comes to freedom of women . even though i have my own reservations about their freedom of speech and press in general Not very good .
when i was 19 i went to Tunisia with mom and sister to Sidi Bou said and some Tunisian friends invited us for the week end to stay in their home (a break from the Hotel ) i was first suprised to see their grand mother still in western clothes ( a long skirt , tee shirt and short hair ) she was in her sixties at the time .

what suprised me the most was when i saw her ride her bike to go and get some fresh bread from the local bakery. I would have expected such a scene in France or Spain but not in Tunisia . if she was 15 i would not be suprised but she was an old woman . then i found out women had a lot of rights and more freedom and shocking NO right to wear the Hijab : which is great with some western countries that dont question their oppression of a free Press and their Attacks on French Journalists (who were prevented from entering the country to cover the Latest technology/ internet Forum )
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 04/17/14 06:13 PM